Friday, July 15, 2005

good performance, but a little shaky on the dismount...

Why is it that in most situations I have perfectly acceptable pithy commentary, but with guys I don't know, I can never think of what to say?

Example:
< scenario >
Claris realizes that elevator from parking to store level of Target is closing, jogs a few steps and slides into elevator leg-first in a slightly stealing 3rd-base sort of fashion. Not really paying attention, she kinda tilts her head at the cute guy already in the elevator & says "made it"

To which he replies, "Nice save."

Elevator starts to go up, and Cute Guy adds, "Nice save and a beauty at that - every guy's dream."

...and suddenly, I'm frelled. I kinda smile, say thank you, and boom, eyes to the ground. I'm sure I blushed a bunch. I suddenly have no clue what to say. I suck when complimented. Does that make sense? and I know what it is. The problem is that I've spent so long in environments where I constantly have to fight, that I don't know what to do when I don't have to fight anymore.

But come on, where was my brain? WHERE? any other day, I'm pithy! I'm quick-witted! Amusing, even! That moment? yeah no. I got nothin'. I have no idea how to keep going! so instead the doors opened & I was embarassed & I skittered away quickly because I was embarassed & went to get my freakin' rawhide bones for the dog instead of saying something cool to the cute guy.
< /scenario >

AHHH!

Dear Cute Guy in the Elevator at Target:

"And I've got way better hair than David Beckham."

That's totally what I meant to say. Seriously.

Sorry I'm a goober.
~ Claris


::sigh:: gotta work on that.


"It's not that I don't have a comeback. I do. Oh don't worry, it's day will come! ~ Xander Harris"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home