Monday, November 28, 2005

The day a tree fell on my car.

Sort of.

So I get up this morning to go to crew...Now, I'm not very good at this morning thing. In truth, for me, it's hands-down the hardest part of the sport, what with the 5:20am start time & all. What I've started doing is just packing my gym bag & anything else I might need for the next day the night before & just leaving it next to my front door so that I literally get up, put on my workout clothes, let the dog out while I'm putting my sneakers on, pick up my gym bag, & go.

Today, that worked fine, I was running early for once....

...and I couldn't find my car.

Fuck.

I have street parking. which means that my car is usually parked within a one block radius of my apt. Every so often, I have to park farther away than that, but when that happens, I usually write a note & tape it to the wall next to my front door so that I remember where I parked. (Been an issue in the past? How can you tell?) So I circle the block, gym bag on my shoulder, looking for my car.

No car...

::sigh:: knowing that my car is presently at a legality status with the state of California that could be termed "questionable" (aka, I'm registered but it's getting repaired so I pass smog), I figured I'd been towed. Which hey, there's $300 I'll never get back.

Call the sherriff's office. They refer me to the tow company. Tow company guy's got nothing.
"Great," I say. "I mean, ya know, good that I'm not towed, but bad that I don't know where my car is."
The guy on the other end laughs and goes, "Think it got stolen?"
"Maybe, but who the hell steals a Kia Sportage with dents and no stereo*?"
Stereo got stolen last July, I just never got around to replacing it.

Having heard several stories of silly girls who'd called & reported their car stolen when in fact it was just parked in an unusual place, I get my flashlight, and at 5am in the morning, am walking around my neighborhood, double checking for my car.

And finally, I see my New Hampshire lisence plate.

Under what looks like half a tree.

It's been incredibly windy the last couple of days here in L.A. Like, hardcore windy. And it would seem that yesterday afternoon, I parked my car under a tree. An old tree, which I guess wasn't all that stable, & sometime during the night, the overhanging branch let go and fell on my car. Luckily for me a) the roof rack seems to have held up and b) they don't build trees out here like they do in New England - so there wasn't any noticeable damage. It just, you know, hid my car from me in the dark at 4:40 in the morning, and meant that I didn't make it to practice.

I made up for this by going to the gym & doing a 3k on the erg, but I can't wait to go into practice tomorrow morning & have to explain to G that I missed practice 'cause a tree was hiding my car. Good times, good times...

Is this year over yet or what? 'cause I am so done.

4 Comments:

At 8:46 AM, Blogger ChrisWoznitza said...

Hi I´m Chris. Greatings from Germany Bottrop !!

 
At 4:04 PM, Anonymous raithen said...

I'm sorry, but I am a bad person and I am snorfling quite mercilessly about this.

raithen ;P

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger R.S. Monkey said...

Ah-HAH! So that's what happened to you this morning. Thing is, if I had AAAALLLL morning and AAAALLLL day to guess what happened to you, I still would have never guessed the whole tree thing. You lead such a blog-able life :-)

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger claris said...

But I don't want to! Really, I'd be okay with leading a perfectly boring life...

I'm choosing to see it this way :
The good news is - the car wasn't stolen.

The bad news is...I have to explain this to G in the morning.

and hey - where's your blog, missy? Huh?

You gonna be there in the morning?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home