Monday, November 14, 2005

New job, jiggedly jig.

so, yet another chapter in the saga of "Claris attempts to find permanent employment that won't drive her to panic attacks" begins. I started a contract to perm gig as a designer/developer for a finance publication that's about 2.5 miles away from the Boathouse. bonus!

They seem fairly nice, & unlike many gigs that I've started, they actually had
a) a workstation for me
b) something for me to do right away.

Why is this important? Lemme tell ya why.

No matter what you might think about being "kind" or going "easy" on the new person, it's like the first day of school. I'm nervous, I have no idea where the bathroom or the exit is until you show me, and really? I just want to stay under any authoritative radar & blend with the other kids - and the best way to accomplish that is to have a task to do so that no one wonders what it is that I do.

So if your answer to the new person's first day at work is to hand them a stack of software documentation & say, "We should have your network password in about three days" - that's cruel. Always have shit set up before they arrive. really, it's better that way.

Anyway, so first day at what I shall call Stodgy!Money!Co. has gone fine. I'm doing work, they don't appear to hate me inherently.

Although, I have to admit that when I showered at the boathouse this morning, I realized I'd forgotten to bring a pair of work heels with me - and there wasn't time to go home & get some. So it's possible I wore sneakers in today. However, no one has asked, & since I've spent most of the day with my feet below a desk, I don't think anyone actually noticed.

But that doesn't mean I didn't freak out when I realized I had no shoes & twenty minutes before work. Gotta be a bit more careful about that from now on...::sigh::

Oh, and they have all outside mail blocked. Bummer.

6 Comments:

At 6:03 PM, Blogger Megdalen said...

Hooray! But, stodgy money? Bummer, dude. But at least it is close to the Boathouse. That is very convenient for your rowing life! (For which I am very proud. Go you!)

 
At 8:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All outside mail?

I do not like this place!

~Melly

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger claris said...

sorry Melly, I don't think they got the memo about how my new gigs are required to amuse you at the same time. *g*

Besides, give me a week, I'll have work e-mail to abuse, I mean use.

 
At 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know WHY! I sent it three times, for cripes' sakes.

~M

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger claris said...

It's Califronia. they probably recycled them thinking that someone else had already read it for them.

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger claris said...

fuck, I can't even spell California. Clearly I've been here too long...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home