Thursday, December 08, 2005

Yesterday. The short-short version.

Crew.
Work.
::Good thing happens at work*::
Drop car at mechanic to have defective O2 sensor replaced in the continuing battle to see if my car can become legal in the state of CA
Decide I'm going to reward myself for good work thing with a new DVD & some take out.
Walk to Target, get movie.
Get home, talk to neighbors, decline invite to go to Mickey's - possibly next week, though.
Drop off Target purchases at apt, make takeout order, go to get wallet.
Go to get wallet?

Oh. fuck.

My wallet's gone. like GONE. I spent a good amt. of time searching, & finally conceded that I lost it somewhere between target & my house. (Target didn't have it, I called)
So I make the obligatory calls to my bank to get new shiznit...
Go to see about getting new IDs, etc.
Resign myself to the realization that I'm basically going to be kinda Amish for the next couple weeks.
Get car from mechanic.
Come back home, do some freelance work, talk to Adina on the phone in a conversation where I say the words, "No dude, this is LA, I'll never see it again..."

10:30 at night, my cell rings.
"Hello?"
Woman with Heavy Russian Accent: I am...looking for ::mangling of my name::
"Yes, this is her..."
"I am looking for...::repeat::"
"No, this is Claris."
"Do not speak very good English, looking for...::repeat::"
"No, I'm ...Da! Da, da ::repeat my own name::**"

It turns out that a Russian couple about two blocks southeast of me found my wallet in the gutter. So I went down & retrieved it -- they knew to call me because of my freelance business card that was in there. I have never been so happy to have a business card in my life, I can't even tell you. They wouldn't take anything in thanks, but I'm going to go to Trader Joe's & get one of the little indoor rose plants that I bought last weekend & drop it off at their house tonight. Just the joy of knowing I don't have to go to the DMV & get a replacement lisence, oh god that makes me so happy.

Of course, due to having called my bank, I will still be fiscally Amish until probably Monday because the old cards have been deactivated & I need the new ones to come in, but no DMV & no Federal Building visits! Yay!

And yes, Adina, you can feel free to say "I told you so" regarding your faith in humanity. Personally, I'm thinking this whole thing was the cosmos biting me in the ass for my joy over beating you at Trivial Pursuit on Thanksgiving.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go google how to say "Thank you" in Russian so that I can write it on a card....



*more on that once it's for-real-for-real, because my life just has too high a preponderance of last minute disaster for me to jinx it by talking about it online, thanks
** thanks to my father's Tom Clancy obsession, I know just enough Russian to say:
Da - yes
sudat - Come here
Niet parle Ruskie - I don't speak Russian
In my neighborhood, these are actually applicable skills for every day life. thanks Dad!

6 Comments:

At 2:08 PM, Anonymous raithen said...

between you and Chrissy there seems to be an epidemic this week....

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger R.S. Monkey said...

See - I'm telling you - a blogable life. I think I'm going to change my blog title to "Too Busy to Blog" :-(
* BTW - the letters in the word verification for this post - HSLUT - teeheehee.

 
At 9:42 PM, Anonymous Adina said...

It's not like me to be optimistic. I'm impressed in fellow man once again. Yay!


Oh, and I'm not allowed to talk to you anymore - the phone died on me twice and I got pulled over. You're bad luck. I, of course, say that with love.

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger claris said...

You're bad luck. I, of course, say that with love.

You're only figuring that out now?
'cause um...der.

 
At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.waytorussia.net/WhatIsRussia/Russian/Part2.html

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Candice B. said...

Hey - Cool blog, nice layout! Checkout my cell phone directory blog if you can.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home