Wednesday, May 24, 2006

So...

...you ever have that moment where you get done going over your family history with a therapist for your first session, and they stop to comment & congratulate you on having managed to be a functioning member of society given your background?

.....

Um, yeah. Me neither.
----------

Anyway, so I had my first therapy session last night, & I don't think I frightened S away, so we're going to try it again next Wed. I decided to go with hypnotherapy as a way of working with my anger issues, the fact that my parents pretty much ingrained me to expect people to betray & abandon me, & my tendency towards self-deprecation.

She also gave me a packet of local AL-ANON meetings, but I kinda want to see how this round of therapy goes before I take that step. Just the fact that I'm highly hesitant about going sends off a red flag in my brain as far as "things that are a good idea".

So we'll see - I figure I can call this part a draw - I know there are problem, & I'm willing to work on shit, but I also know it's not in my nature to sit in a circle & do my Slim Shady impression.

I figure...that's progress, right? Totally.

3 Comments:

At 7:30 PM, Blogger Galactichero said...

Showing up for therapy is progress.

Anger issues? What anger issues do you have? You must edit yourself well.

Hypnotherapy eh... That's interesting. Did it work?

I think our whole generation is screwed up, but I can't bring myself to do the whole therapy thing, personally. I know a lot of people who do. I think the people who do are probably smart to do it though. I know how screwed up my family is, and how screwed up I am - I don't really need someone else to confirm that for me. So did you learn anything about yourself?

I didn't really get the impression that you were in need of alanon, but then, I guess I read your blog twice a week so what the fuck do I know about you?

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Megdalen said...

Hooray! Hooray for you! I love therapy. I always felt like an idiot when I used to go, and would leave feeling much less of one. A courageous step! If you were here I would give youa big hug and bake you something chocolatey.

Meg

 
At 12:03 AM, Blogger claris said...

I ::heart:: my Meg. Actually, my therapist is a clinical therapist who's also another intuitive, so my sessions are turning out to be about half normal therapy, half working on my more interesting abilities... and tonight we managed to track down the source of one of my problems as being imposed by an outside force the source of which you probably wouldn't be surprised to hear...

and ooh - Meg brownies... mmmm...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home