Thursday, June 15, 2006

The Dark Side. I'm there. It's complete now.

This morning, G declared that I'd be rowing starboard for him for the forseeable future.

For the non-rowing people, lemme 'splain.

there are two sides in rowing - port(right) & starboard(not right - yes, R.S. Monkey, I said that on purpose. neener). A lot of people only row one side - it's kind of the equivalent of which hand you use to write with. If you can row both sides, it's a good skill, but not required.

However, I happen to have issues with overachievement. (no, really!) So when asked, I figured, hey, I box both right & left, I might as well learn to row that way too.

Now, that's not to say that I row starboard well. It means that I row well enough that when we're short a starboard rower, I can pinch hit. That was always the way I approached it. Much like the fact that Coach T & G can stand up in the coswain seat while the boat is moving, it's a neat little trick you can do in practice, but not really something you want to try in a race. And as R.S. Monkey has seen, I tend to get out of the boat on the days I row starboard & go, "Oh god I hope I don't have to do that again any time soon. ::sob!::"

Well today, I rowed starboard in the 8. And we sprinted. The word for this experience? FUUUUUUUUUCK. I can manage a distance starboard, but I've never rowed above a 24 stroke per minute rating - today kids, we took it up to 32/34. On a side I can't entirely manage!

So when the boat pulled into the dock, & G cavalierly declares, "Kathy, I like your body position better when you're rowing starboard than when you're rowing port. I think you're a starboard now." - I think my expression was akin to the day that R.S. Monkey was first told, "....and you're stroke." It's just that moment of, "Saywhatsorry?"

Meanwhile, behind me, Dspot laughs - she's a port who was forced to learn starboard last year so she could sit bow for the boat for Head of the Charles. Dspot informs me that G's been trying to turn her into a full time starboard for a year now... great.

::Sigh:: Dude. Between the sculling & the rowing both sides, I should just but stock in Johnson & Johnson...

3 Comments:

At 11:17 AM, Anonymous MrWhyt said...

Dude port is Left (the side of the boat that they would tie up alongside the port), starboard is not-Left (the Steer-board (which is what they used before placing rudders at the stern) was on the right side, thats why they tied up on the left).

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger claris said...

well for the coswain it is. But we rowers actually sit backwards in a boat, so for us, it's not. Which also explains why it usually takes the first five/ten minutes of practice for the coswain to re-teach themselves what side is what, because normally they're facing the other way. ;)

 
At 5:58 PM, Anonymous MrWhyt said...

So to 'splain:
rowers = weird people

 

Post a Comment

<< Home