Wednesday, August 02, 2006

::FallDownGoBoomSoTired::

On the one hand, I like my coach, G. He's a nice guy, we get on well, rah rah, rah.

On the other, I am so tired, and I know that if I were to tell him that I've been fighting the habit of falling asleep at my desk between the hours of 9 - 12 each day, he'd just say that the fact I can actually stay awake means that I'm not pulling hard enough, because if I was using 100%, I wouldn't have anything left & I'd be asleep on the keyboard.

How's that for a love/hate relationship?

For those of you that know me on a personal level, we have two coffee urns in our office - one regular, and another which is the double - aka, two packets of CBTL coffee for the people who like it really strong.

I don't normally drink coffee at all. As one person that I used to hang with so perfectly summed up, "You're not allowed coffee. It's not fair to you, and it's not fair to us."

Today, I'm drinking from the Double Urn, and I'm just getting to the point where I'm getting fine motor function back...

Seriously though. Freakin' tired. Man, I felt so much better after last week when Mel mentioned to me that she was about to fall over too - while I was driving to my accountant last Friday trying to stay awake on the 210 E to Monrovia, she gave up, went home, and slept between 8 - 11 am & just went into work late.

Out of everyone in G's practices, I think I'm one of the... five(?) that isn't a post-collegiate rower, which means that almost everyone else has a minimum of four years' experience on me. (and in some cases, some of the women I row with have been rowing almost as long as I've been alive - we're talking National, Worlds and Olympic experience) So I figured it was just my inexperience that was making my six morning a week practice schedule cause me to be all droopy-eyed, but no no - G's killing everyone else too. And twisted as it might sound, I find that oddly comforting.

G's group really only has practice 3 weekdays & on Saturday, when we row for two hours instead of our normal hour. However, as I stated above, just about everyone else has at least 4 years on me, & the only way to get better is time on the water, so I go to the other groups' practices on mon & fri mornings. As you'll often hear repeated in a boathouse, "power is great, but ergs don't float". Mel was actually talking about an optional night practice for the people who can't make Wed. mornings because of work, and I had to concede that yeah, because of where I work, I can make those - that would bring me to seven practices a week, gods help me.

Thankfully, this morning was a slightly better row. Yesterday sucked. Like WindTunnelInReverse Suckage. G & I both agreed this morning that something's just...off. And the more I think about it, the worse it gets. And then you try not to think about thinking about it, and it's got this whole pink elephants thing going on. ::sigh::

The week before Nationals is not a good time for me to go all spastic.

I'm taking the weekend off from Messenger!Co. I could have worked guarantees both Sat & Sunday, but I think at this point, I've worked three weeks w/o a day off from any gig, so it's possible I really need the time to myself... so I'm going to go to DSpot's house on Sat night & let my coach mix a drink for me*, and then Sunday I intend to sleep a bunch, and clean my house to prepare for being out of town next week. Oy.

*G's night gig is as a bartender, so it's possible I may only need the one drink when he's in charge
-------------

One day, I'll have a non-crew update for this blog. Shut it, I totally will. Ironically enough, with our season's schedule, it'll probably be right around the time the '06 Bar Exam Refugees get their results, so we can all be anxious together. It'll be great, you watch & see. I probably won't make the Charles boat, but damned if I won't survive the training anyway...

4 Comments:

At 9:01 PM, Blogger Galactichero said...

I don't know you, but as someone running sick on 6 hours of sleep in three days, my advice to you is to take care of yourself. Otherwise you crash. Baaaaad. Crash = Baaaaaad.

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger R.S. Monkey said...

Glad to hear I'm not the only one dragging. I'm immediately sleepy after practice. What does THAT say?!?!

I'm thinking the Charles is a long shot for me as well. And... I think it works out anyway because guess who has their 7th wedding of the year to go to that weekend? I know...shut it!

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Megdalen said...

So proud of you for rowing in Nationals! That is a big fat hairy deal. Woo hoo!

Meg

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger claris said...

R.S. Monkey Screw making the Charles boat man, I just want to make it through that erg qual test - a full 6k with an under 2:00/split the whole way through... Yeah, I'll be doing that bad boy at a 24... maybe a 26 if I'm up to it. ::sigh::

Meg: I don't know if it's so much a "big deal" as much as "we were the fools crazy enough to say 'sure, I'll try that'." because the closer we get, the more I'm all ::flaileyhands::

 

Post a Comment

<< Home