Tuesday, August 15, 2006

I'm not actually a Bostonian, I just play one in L.A.

When I first got to L.A., I would tell people I was from New Hampshire. (I'm actually from NY originally, but NH is easier than NY & NH) After about a month of living in CA, I started telling people I was from Boston.

Why?

Because I was tired of having to explain where New Hampshire is.

People who actually know their geography (or are from New England) often think I'm kidding when I explain this reasoning, but I'm not. I had this come up in job interviews where people would ask if NH was "one of the ones in the middle". Seriously. Or when asked, "How big is NH, anyway?" I now answer, "A little taller than Vermont."

And on the one hand, it sounds like a cynical viewpoint of the public. But then you see an article like this, and I'm torn between:
a) feeling way the hell better for my derisive opinon of the intelligence of the general populace
b) scared for the future

Current Events Dwarfed by Pop Culture.
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Three quarters of Americans can correctly identify two of Snow White's seven dwarfs while only a quarter can name two Supreme Court Justices, according to a poll on pop culture released on Monday...

::facepalm::

1 Comments:

At 5:05 PM, Blogger Galactichero said...

Without looking, can you name all nine SCT justices? Can you tell their position on Free Exercise jurispridence? What about separation of powers? Sovereign immunity?

What about the names of the president's cabinet?

Your congressman?

Your governor?... That's easy, what about your LT. Governor?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home