Monday, August 07, 2006

Well, if we're going to be honest, it's not all that much of a hardship for me to have to go to Target.

This morning, the lineups had me paired with Anne in the double. Totally cool, I like A - she's one of our college kids in for the summer, so she's 19... at some point this summer, I remembered her saying that she was a wee bit terrified to bow a boat (aka, be the poor sod in charge of rowing and steering at the same time) because at the end of the year at Stanford they'd just kind of dropped her in to race a single & gone, "Okay, have fun!"... and it would seem that didn't go well.

So today, I plunked A in stroke & I sat bow & we did our steady state where she had to function as bow - aka, learn how to row & steer, manipulate the boat based on a point in front of her and navigate the course while switching what your point is, how to flip your head around to look over your shoulder w/o interrupting the stroke rate, all that good stuff. She just got to do it with me in bow in case of Course Emergencies, so it's kind of like the extra steering wheel & e-brake they have in some Drivers' Ed cars - I was, in essence, her training wheels.

Now that sounds kind of impressive, but let's rewind the YouTube memory to us sitting at the top of the marina, about the start our set. Now, from my time in a single earlier this spring, I got in the habit of wearing a watch on the water. Why? Because after the second or third row where you realize that you are in a large body of water completely alone & there's no one to tell you when practice is over... you go to Target & spend $10. And then there are days like today, where you're sent out in the double w/o coaching supervision and god help us all, I'm the more experienced rower in the boat.

Problem being, I can't scull with my watch on - because of the positioning of my hands, the watch literally scrapes the skin off the knuckles of my right hand as it passes over - this is good because it means I'm finally getting my hands level both up the drive and on the recovery, but bad because of, you know, the whole "ow" factor. So I usually just attach it to the front rigging next to the speed coach - the meter that tells you your speed & the stroke rate.

However, I'm in bow, and the speed coach rigger is in the stern. Therefore, right before we start, I say, "Hey, I'm going to give you my watch, wrap it around the rigger next to the speed coach so we'll know when to go - " ::plop:: "oh shit."

That's right ladies & gentlemen, in the two feet I had to transport the few ounces that my watch weighs, I dropped it in the water. I benched a 135 my first try on a weight floor, and I can't lift a frickin' watch. Because I'm a genius.

I mean, don't get me wrong - I made an initial valiant attempt at rescuse. But really, in the end, it's a $10 Target watch that's only "water resistant" and has a scratched up face. We kinda sat there for a minute & watched the shiny buckle sink into the dark watery depths of the gasoline-laced marina water at 5:30am and Anne ever-so-innocently asked, "But, won't it float?"
To which I answered, "Yeah, I think if it was going to float, we would know by now, so I'm gonna guess... not."

So hey - I have one more thing to do tonight. However, as HulloKittyTeammate & I decided on Saturday night, a foray to Mecca Target isn't necessarily a bad thing.

3 Comments:

At 4:08 PM, Blogger R.S. Monkey said...

LOL - I love your stories. Not just because I know all the rowing speak, but because they're so real - and they happen all to YOU!

p.s. LAX is experiencing flight delays right now. Apparently only a couple runways are open. Let's hope they figure all this crap out before you have to leave tomorrow!

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger claris said...

::bows::
(in the gesture way, not the boat way)

You just like the fact that I make your world look calm, don't you? Speaking of which - any chance you want to do a sculling sprint or two on, say... Thursday? Also, PK mentioned they haven't filled the mixed 8 yet, and the two men's quads need a seat... personally? I think we should spice up your life & toss you in there with G & PK... ;)
(note: neither of us will be in these boats due to the fact we are hampered by ovaries, I'm just yanking RSM's chain)

Seriously - we get off the water, we're bringing the boat in, & I very deliberately say to A - "Okay, we're going to get on the left side because that's the side of the racks." She's all, "No, I think we should try the right." To which I respond, "Okay, but you're behind me, so you have to look, because I'm gonna be blind..." "Sure, totally..."

And we knock the boat on the rack. ::sigh:: I would just like to take a moment to thank the gods that a) they gave us the crappy blue & white double & b) PK was still on the water, because jeebus would we have gotten glared at for that... He was about 500m off our stern the entire row, and I think it kinda wigged A out. heh.

I gotta admit, having you about saves me the trouble of having to scrounge up eyewitnesses...
(I'll slip you the tenner later)

I have spent most of the day working on a freelance piece and listening to the John Mayer library on YouTube... Have I mentioned I'm still not packed yet? I feel like lawgeekgurl

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger Brian D. said...

Klutz!!!! So what you're saying is on my football team you're not the receiver I'm throwing too ;-)

If it makes you feel any better that is the same reason why I use PLASTIC cups instead of glasses at my home.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home